A Buford man has been sentenced to 40 years in prison after being found guilty of sexual abuse of a child and possession of child pornography.
The Gwinnett County District Attorney's Office issued a statement Wednesday, saying David Antonio Perez, age 50, was convicted of charges including child molestation and sexual exploitation of children. The victim in the molestation case was reportedly five years old at the time.
The DA's office said Perez also showed the victim pornography multiple times a week for around a year. He allegedly downloaded over 8,000 videos of child pornography through his email.
"We sincerely hope that this victim and her family can heal from this man's despicable acts," Gwinnett County District Attorney Patsy Austin-Gatson said in Wednesday's statement. "This verdict and sentence are only part of the justice this child deserves. Helping her to recover and return to a normal life is a part of that justice, and our office and our community can engage."
Perez was sentenced to 40 years in prison with 39 to serve. He had previously been held in the Gwinnett County Jail on nearly $400,000 bond.